Thirtysomething.

So my friend turns 30 in two days. It's not unusual for me to give him some guff about getting old, especially since he's a bit nervous about it. You know, the typical scare tactics like "say good-bye to your life as you know it" or "it's all downhill from here" or mentioning the wrinkles, sags, hair loss (which he lost quite a while back) lack of youthfulness. It's all fun and games until you start to think, wait, I'm almost 40! Ok, so I'm not that close to 40, but 36 is close enough. In 4 years, I'll be 40...ughh.

Now, keep in mind that none of the things that I say about turning 30 actually happens to me...only a few more wrinkles, the hair is still there, no sagging here, and I feel more youthful now than I did in my mid-twenties. Of course, I do things that help me feel young. I'd say half of the people I know are about 10 years younger than me. This has it's advantages and disadvantages, which is quite complicated to elaborate here. Maybe later.

But here's what to expect as you get well into your 30's (feel free to contribute to this list):
* it sort of hurts when you wake up.
* hips squeak a little when you're walking or running, or moving for longer than a mile.
* mid-day naps (ok, I've always loved naps, but now I can say it's because I'm getting older).
* a few grays, sprinkled here and there. Luckily, the "there" hasn't happened for me yet.
* grouchy, grumpy, irritable when you don't have enough sleep or food.
* you say what's in your head instead of keeping it to yourself (which has caused a few problems).
* more passionate in your expressions of feelings. Things just feel more intense.
* enjoy time doing absolutely nothing with friends. I cherish these as amazing days/moments.
* you begin to know what you want, really know what you want. You might not get it, but now you know...and you wait until you get it.
* multi-tasking is easier, but you lose some sharpness in your mind. you forget the things that really weren't that important anyway.
* the saying about men in their 20's and women in their 30's...it's true.

Anyway, happy birthday to those entering their thirties...it'll be an amazing time for you, as long as you feel young you are young.

Comments

tequila said…
That last bullet point was pure poetry.

Please bless that one day I will be a woman in her 30's discovering that for herself!

Popular posts from this blog

To Nerina, with love

Summer Vacation 2008

My Wedding Day...