unconventional conventions...

At the RNC in St. Paul last week

I found this old blog that I never sent out. Got busy, I guess. But I figure I might as well publish it now. Only 1 1/2 more days until the election...cross your fingers people!!! It's going to be an amazing night! Who else is planning on taking Wednesday off work?

I was very fortunate to be able to attend the Democratic National Convention in Denver last week. Through a series of luck, more luck and some very close connections, I got a free ticket both to Denver and into the Stadium to hear Obama's speech.

To say it simply, I make a very bad democrat. I think some Dems would like it if I didn't affiliate with them. Not sure why, really. It's just that most Democrats I know are more like liberal republicans. There are very little differences between party's these days. Saying that I'm liberal would be an understatement. I support women's rights to safe abortions, I support open borders, our right to marry whoever we want, hate the war, love the poor, think the rich should share their money, love community organizing, support collective communities, I'd rather bike or walk than drive (even though I rarely do...it's the idea that counts, right?), love the trees, polar bears and baby seals ;) I think you get the picture.


I know that I have friends and family on all ends of the spectrum on these issues, and I love each and every one of you! I appreciate that I'm constantly challenged to defend my beliefs, re-think some of my views (but most of you know I rarely change my mind!!). I've heard many suggest that those who share my views hate this country...and we're unpatriotic. You know, I've struggled to come to an opinion about how to respond. How can I prove or convince someone of the motives behind my beliefs? What I do know is that my parents came to this country because they believed that there was something greater here that they could have, be a part of, that didn't exist in their country. Something about freedoms...of liberties, pursuits of happiness, peace.

What most people have forgotten, or never realized, is that this country was founded on the principal of fighting for justice, serious activism and protest to obtain those liberties we have today. If it wasn't for organizers, unions, dissent, protest, and many, many committed individuals to fight for justice for the poor, the oppressed, then we would be a very different country. But this struggle comes at a large price.


As I've witnessed both in the streets a few weeks ago and in Indy media coverage, our right to protest and pea
cefully assemble is seen as a greater and greater threat to our government. There has developed over the years a growing frustration with the status quo, the rising divide between rich and poor, privileged and poor, and class struggles.

I thought I'd share some photos and video from both the RNC and DNC this summer. Not my pictures, but good ones...

At the RNC in St. Paul September 2, 2008...what the heck are they afraid of?








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Nerina, with love

My Wedding Day...

Summer Vacation 2008